18 February 2012

Crochet Mandala

I've seen several pretty crochet mandalas during my internet travels and I wanted to create one of my own.  In all honesty, I didn't actually know what the origins of a mandala was, only that they were pretty and I wanted to make one.  Ever happy to expand my knowledge I've done my research and discovered that a mandala is a classical Indian Sanskrit word which loosely translated means 'circle'.  It represents 'wholeness' and is used as a symbol of life to represent the world, the sun and the moon as well as the conceptual circle of family, friends and community.   So that's my lesson for the day.  It turns out it's all pretty spiritual at the core of the mandala, but ultimately I just wanted something pretty and colourful to go on my wall.  And this is what I created:
I wanted to create a flower image at the centre of my mandala so I've used bright yellow to make the flower stand out.  The rest is just built up using rounds of different stitches and colours. 
It looks very pretty hanging in the window with the sunlight pouring through.

As usual I've written up the pattern as a pdf you can download which is available HERE or via my Crochet Patterns tab.  I've used an 8 inch embroidery hoop that I'd picked up at a charity shop but the pattern could easily be adapated to fit a larger or smaller ring.  Indeed I have a hankering to make a really big one now so I'm going to keep my eyes open for a large hoop. 

6 comments:

  1. That is beautiful!! I so wish I could crochet *sigh* x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't wait to try this one! Thank you for sharing it on Ravelry and here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful pattern. I've made four so far. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I beg your permission to translate this mandala to portuguese, my idiom and to publish in my blog (http://1t2m.blogspot.com.br/).

    Thanks,

    Vera

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is very pretty. I've done one mandala with a pattern and it was quite detailed. This is simple yet very lovely. I think it may be more spiritual than the one that I had to keep walking away from whenever I got frustrated! The beauty is in the symmetry and the flow of the colors. Wonderful job and how kind of you to share this pattern. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there!
    We have just included you gorgeous work in our Mandala Madness pattern round-up! Beautiful work!
    http://akkustomkreations.blogspot.com.au/2014/06/we-are-joining-mandala-madness.html

    ReplyDelete